Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Voting against the taxes

I'm voting against both the city & county taxes. The city tax has been discussed so much that I don't need to.

The county tax will fund more jail beds, and I'm against that. People who typically end up in jail are my people, working-class and poor. The city uses some of those jail beds to lock up homeless people who are camping. The Eugene Police Dept. refuses to stop harassing homeless people.

Jails are where we put the mentally ill, most of the time.

Jails are used for the so-called war on drugs, which I'm against. Legalize drugs and treat their use as a public health issue. If that isn't politically possible, stop enforcing the laws.

The U.S., I believe, is now second to China in the percentage of our population we lock up. I won't support this. When local governments find their policies enraging both the left and the right it's time to change, because the inert middle-class no longer has the votes.

No comments:

Post a Comment